The current stand-off between Roll-on perfume oils and Spray-on perfumes is turning out to be as interesting as a catfight between an old girlfriend and the new. The tried and tested former favorite Roll-on has thrown the gauntlet, challenging the usurper Spray-on to prove its perfumed merits. It’s a battle for which Roll-on has been itching ever since Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and Paco Rabanne started marketing their premium products in Roll-on. After having been sidelined for many years, Roll-on now feels energized by its big-ticket endorsements and is ready to conquer the world of fragrances again. It knows it can because its merits are numerous:
- Unlike Spray-ons where 30-40% of spray is wasted, Roll-on imparts its perfume oils evenly and effectively with no wastage. The use of Roll-on can be easily controlled depending on the need for mild or strong application.
- Spray-on comprises 80% alcohol and only 20% fragrance. On application, the sprayed alcohol evaporates leaving only a small portion of actual perfume, which wears off quickly. On the other hand, Roll-on application lasts much longer because of greater concentration of perfume oils.
- Roll-ons are invariably less expensive than Spray-ons making it possible to buy more fragrances for the money spent on just one Spray-on. This creates the opportunity to try out a greater variety of fragrances. Roll-ons also also boast of a wider selection of fragrances, especially the exotic variety.
- Alcohol and other chemicals can be dehydrating and cause irritation and distress, leading to dryness of the skin. Roll-ons, on the other hand, are free from alcohol and are best applied on fabric, collar, shoulder, cuffs, etc, eliminating the possibility of skin irritation and dehydration.
- Roll-on perfume oils stay close to the field of application unlike a Spray-on creates a cloud of perfume that can be over powering and intrusive for other people in close proximity.
- Many offices frown upon employees walking around with strong clouds of perfumes following them. In such cases, Roll-ons are preferable as they stay close to the field of application. It is said that “with Roll-on you are wearing the perfume while with a Spray-on , the perfume is wearing you.
- Roll-ons are a lot more convenient in current times because they are so easy and convenient to carry. Most men and women are out all day working and reapplying perfume with a roll-on can be done on the go. Spray perfumes on the other hand are difficult to carry and inconvenient to apply at workplace or among people.
- Roll-ons are perfect perfume products to carry on trips, whether vacation or business trip. For women especially, Roll-ons offer the possibility of carrying two-three different fragrances in the purse without the hassle of Spray-on perfumes.
- As Roll-ons are usually the size of lip gloss and mascara tubes, they are extremely portable and relatively inexpensive. Also in the modern world, Roll-ons, being so functional, are seen as the youthful way of using fragrances.